A three-part video series by Kirby Beck, PCI #002T/EMSCI #017T
In this series of videos, Kirby Beck – retired police officer, instructor and trainer with the International Police Mountain Bike Association – gives a comprehensive overview of cycling law enforcement.
In Part 1, Beck:
- Takes us through the fascinating history of cops on bikes, from the early police officers who stopped speeding horses, to the bike-based rapid response team that kept anarchists from burning St. Paul during the Republican National Convention.
- Provides an amusing look back at 1970s cop show Adam 12, in which the protagonists clock a neighborhood cyclist at 45 mph.
- Gives an overview of the current state of enforcement of bicycle law – or lack thereof.
In Part 2, Beck explains:
- What police mean when they describe something as a “problem”
- How to effectively report incidents to 911
- How to deal with police citations (step one: stay calm!)
In Part 3, Beck explains:
- What police need to learn
- How to get heard by your local police department
- Why changes in police departments need to come from the top
- Plus: why you need the AAA on your side.