27 Jun 2017, 11:30 a.m, the Western Advocate
ON YOUR BIKE: Bicycle police have hit the street in Bathurst today. Photo: CHIFLEY LAC FACEBOOK
THIS morning’s subzero temperatures in Bathurst have not deterred bike police who are out patrolling the local area.
The bike cops are not a regular sight on Bathurst’s streets and they stood out more than usual wearing shorts as the mercury remained below zero at 9am after dropping to a low of -4.3 degrees overnight.
Chifley local area command welcomed the bike cops back to town by issuing a number of road safety tips for local cyclists:
· Use your head – protect your noggin with a helmet. Cyclists who wear a helmet reduce injury by an estimated 60 per cent. Helmets must meet federal safety standards and should be securely fitted.
· Ride single file in the direction of traffic.
· Wear bright-coloured clothing to help other road users see you.
· Know your bike’s capabilities.
· Make sure your bike has reflectors front and rear.
· A horn/bell and a rear mirror are also recommended.
· Ensure your brakes are in good working order.
· If riding at night, wear a reflective vest.